Sunday, November 3, 2013

Time to Be Thankful

Halloween ended and November arrived and somehow that meant Christmas???? What? Did we forget the holiday known as Thanksgiving? I mean, I love Christmas as much as every other person but some of my favorite memories growing up were Thanksgiving dinner celebrations at my mom's family. You see, my mom is one of 8 girls! Can you imagine growing up in a house with 9 women and one bathroom? Needless to say, I'm lucky enough to have a big family full of aunts, uncles and cousins to celebrate the day we should all Give Thanks. We didn't eat off fancy china but good old fashioned paper plates...we had multiple tables spread throughout the house and the back room (aka the man room) and after dinner we would pull out all the Christmas catalogs and start making our lists.  It wasn't rushed, it wasn't overshadowed by Christmas, it was a time to celebrate and truly be thankful for all the blessings we have.  I have a pretty firm rule in our house that no Christmas decorations are to be put up prior to Thanksgiving (although I've bended a little if we were traveling and I do allow lights outside but they can't be turned on until Thanksgiving night). Tonight my son and I pulled out our turkeys to add to our other fall decorations and it brought a little smile to my face.  I've decided to celebrate this month not to overshadow it and teach my boys the importance of being thankful and showing gratitude! 

How do you celebrate the month of November?

~Ila~

No comments:

Post a Comment